The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be my God, the rock of my salvation
2Samuel 22:47

10 November 2010

friendly art afternoon

Recently, we enjoyed an afternoon spent with our long-time friends, Chloe and Ellie. I am terrible when it comes to unscheduled 'free-time' so we always plan some sort of activity. {You may remember September when we did science experiments. . .}


I stumbled upon a great art website a few weeks ago and found this art lesson. Perfect for this time of year! And a perfect way to spend an afternoon with our friends.

My group of kids always impress me with how creative and attentive they are during art lessons. It is so much fun to take the same basic guidelines for a project and see the different results.
















{I couldn't help but tweak the original lesson a wee bit by sprinkling salt over the still-wet paintings. It gives such a unique, weathered look to the paint after it dries.}


















Stunning, is it not?













We generally do at least one art project per week. I was scared of art a few years ago because I tend to be a very black-and-white type person. Since there are no 'formulas' to follow and no right or wrong ways to create art, it was hard for me to get excited about art.
But I knew this was an important venue in education so I closed my eyes, recited over and over and over that it's okay to be messy, and we went for it. I'm so glad to have overcome the fear of art and now I can't seem to get enough.
But I still don't know what I'm doing. That's okay, though. I'm not trying to raise modern day Michaelangelos. . .I just am trying to expose my children to as many facets of education as possible and trusting that God will speak to their hearts as we walk this road and show them where His gift in talent and ability for them lies, and they will take off naturally, when the time is right.



Until then, we are having the greatest time exploring God's world together and enjoying the friendships He has put in place for our family.
So thankful for all the friends He has given us.

3 comments:

  1. What a great way to spend a friendly afternoon. They all did a great job with their art work.~~Love Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salt - that's a great idea! I love these beautiful leaf pictures!

    ReplyDelete