The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be my God, the rock of my salvation
2Samuel 22:47

18 September 2010

Best dressed Husky fan

I liken this day to one in which my sons are playing football on opposite teams and I am forced to choose which son to cheer for.

Is there such a thing as riding the fence when it comes to these matters?

Today, my home team is playing my home team. I have been fretting about this all week long. {Apparently I have had nothing better to do.} But for those of you reading this who are not Nebraskans, you have no idea what Nebraska football is and means to Nebraska citizens. On game days, it's almost as if everyone is headed to the same church service or family reunion. Tradition, loyalty and honor rank high when it comes to Nebraska football, and I am proud to call myself a Husker fan.

Except, when they play my other favorite team, the Washington Huskies. My once-upon-a-time-in-a-land-far-away-and-when-I-was-young-and-before-I-had-stretch-marks favorite team.

It's going to be an interesting day. And I will be happy either way as far as the game goes. Our family is grateful to our friends who have *very, very graciously* invited us to wear our purple shirts today. {Again, if you are not a Nebraskan-ite you have no idea how HUGE of a gracious gesture this is.} It will just be fun to spend this chilly fall day in the home of friends and eating bean dip and tortilla chips together.



This youngster, my youngster, has been waiting for game day for a very long time now. And he is ready to go. He is somewhat confused about who he is, though, as he has been running through the house chanting "Go Washington Huskers!" {Perhaps this is the answer to my team dilemma!}





My oldest son, who is Nebraska born and whose blood does run Nebraska red, told me that after today "I'm going to work harder on being a Nebraska fan, Mom." I suppose this day couldn't have been helped, we knew it was coming.


LOVING the tie with your football gear, Ry. No matter what side you are cheering for, I vote you best dressed fan today. I cannot get enough of you, kiddo!
And Gramma, the reason why you couldn't get in touch with us last night was because we were on a date night in Lincoln with friends Mike & Jenny. It's been a busy week and I have had to leave my computer off for a few days so I can take care of priorities in our home. I'll call soon! For now, I have bean dip to make and a purple shirt to put on before 2:30!
Happy Game Day!

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to friends to watch the game and their son is a member of Husky crew. I'll wear one of my many Nebraska shirts and have my medical card around my neck just in case.Good luck to both teams.LuvDad/Gbill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Nebraska! (-; Okay, actually, football is completely a mess to me, I really can't understand it. I expect you're boys could teach me a few things...(-;
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurry up!!!catch up Washington Husky's!!! Bill your a traitor!! lol. I'm rooting for the team that wins. Ill let you know if I'm yeah-ing or crying. What a handsome couple you two are. Love you all. gramma

    ReplyDelete